To understand and appreciate the characteristics and themes of Ancient Egyptian art by creating your own artwork inspired by this style.
1. Drawing paper or papyrus if available
2. Colored pencils, crayons, or paints (especially red, blue, yellow, black, and white, which were commonly used in Ancient Egyptian art)
3. Reference images of Ancient Egyptian art
1. Research: Begin by researching Ancient Egyptian art. Look at different examples from various periods, such as the Old Kingdom, New Kingdom, and Late Period. Pay attention to the common themes, symbols, and characteristics.
2. Choose a Theme: Ancient Egyptian art often depicted gods, pharaohs, and daily life. Choose a theme for your artwork. It could be a portrait of a pharaoh, a scene from daily life, or a depiction of a god or goddess.
3. Plan Your Composition: Ancient Egyptian art is known for its hierarchical proportion, where the size of figures is based on their status. For example, pharaohs are often depicted as larger than other figures. Plan your composition keeping this in mind.
4. Use Hieroglyphs: If you want, you can incorporate hieroglyphs into your artwork. These were the written symbols used in Ancient Egypt, and they often appear in their art.
5. Create Your Artwork: Start drawing or painting your artwork. Remember, figures in Ancient Egyptian art were often depicted in a composite view, meaning heads and legs are shown in profile, while torsos are shown from the front. Use bold lines and flat areas of color.
6. Use Appropriate Colors: Ancient Egyptians used colors symbolically. For example, black represented the fertile soil of the Nile and was used to depict men, while yellow represented women's skin and the sun. Red symbolized chaos and was used for enemy figures.
7. Present Your Work: Once you've completed your artwork, present it to the class. Explain the theme of your artwork, the symbols you used, and how you incorporated the characteristics of Ancient Egyptian art.
You will be evaluated on your understanding of Ancient Egyptian art characteristics, creativity, and the effort put into your artwork.
Remember, the goal of this project is not to create a perfect replica of Ancient Egyptian art, but to understand and appreciate the style and themes of this ancient civilization. Enjoy the process of creating your own artwork inspired by this fascinating period in art history!