Workplace Rights Research
Do research on the laws in your state and on your date to find out the most current information.
Assignment: Research the following questions, which should be posted on a government website for your state, providence, or location. Be sure to look for the current year, and not use old data.
Be prepared to discuss them in class if your instructor chooses.
Current State Labor Laws:
- What is the current minimum wage in your state?
- Are there any exceptions to the minimum wage laws? If so, what are they?
- How many hours can an employee work in a day or week in your state?
- How many hours must an employee work before they are entitled to overtime pay in your state?
- What is the overtime pay rate in your state?
- What are the rules regarding meal and rest breaks in your state?
- How old must someone be to work in your state?
- Are there any restrictions on the type of work that minors can do in your state?
- What are the safety rules and regulations for your state's workplaces?
- What is the process for reporting a workplace safety violation in your state?
- What are the rules for providing sick leave or family leave in your state?
- Are there any specific rules regarding payment of final wages to employees who are terminated or resign in your state?
- What are the rules regarding paid time off in your state?
From Lesson: Workplace Rights and Responsibilities
Learning Gig Lesson List: Employment Soft Skills
From Learning Gig: Employment Soft Skills